8020 was tasked with launching PayNode, the world’s first online payment platform for business aviation. The B2B target market was charter brokers and operators in the Americas and Europe. We had to launch the company in November 2016 at NBAA in Orlando, Florida, the world’s largest business aviation trade show. Despite fierce competition, we had to create a high-impact, lead-generating launch while also paving the way for a European launch, which we handled at the EBACE trade show in Geneva the following May.
launching PayNode as ‘PayPal for private jets’
100% show daily coverage at NBAA and EBACE
191 sales leads generated
142% more website sessions
8020 achieved exactly the sort of industry awareness we hoped for. Customer interest exceeded expectations and pr played a significant role.
As aviation pr specialists, we anticipated a fundamental challenge with aviation trade media, who could easily see a fintech launch as a dull, marginal story.
Our compensating strategy was to exploit a weakness in other companies’ pr output: boring, formulaic photography. By convincing our client to fund a larger photography budget, we aimed to deliver vibrant, photo-led stories that editors wanted to run, achieving cut-through for PayNode’s messages via eye-catching coverage.
We developed photographic concepts to tell PayNode’s story of ‘Making Payments Fly’ and hired a top creative photographer to bring them to life. We spent half a day preparing a studio, making paper airplanes from bank notes and suspending them from ‘invisible’ fishing lines, creating a portfolio of striking, message-rich images.
As many customers would be financially unsophisticated SMEs, we crystallised PayNode’s proposition in a number of simple, accessible messages, such as ‘PayPal for Private Jets’.
To further head off competing news, we used timing to our advantage. We briefed many key publications on an embargoed basis ahead of NBAA and EBACE, while also being on the ground in Orlando and Geneva to manage a press conference and further on-site interviews.
trade show communications
The US and European launches proved highly effective.
- PayNode secured 48 high-quality news stories in its first six months, including stories in all the critical ‘show daily’ magazines at NBAA and EBACE. Online coverage gained more than 72,000 page-views and hard copy editions reached a further 130,000 readers.
- News of PayNode’s launch was shared 453 times on LinkedIn and Twitter, while coverage in aviation media e-newsletters reached a further 254,000 prospects.
- Launch day saw PayNode’s website gain 142% more sessions, 114% more visitors and high engagement, with 6.36 page views per session (PVPS) and average session duration (ASD) of 8 mins 52 secs. The following day saw sessions rise by a further 83% and visitors by 70%, with 3.09 PVPS and 7 mins 13 secs ASD.
- PayNode was named by Aviation Week as a ‘Top 10 Leader of Business Aviation’ in May 2017, a rare achievement for a technology business.
- PayNode registered 191 leads across NBAA and EBACE and signed up 60 brokers and operators within six months